It’s not too late to add a task to your list of New Years Resolutions! Restoring your log home can seem to be a daunting task. It doesn’t need to be! We’ve brought together everything that you’ll need to do to make your home like new, just in time for the new year!
Repair rot spots and damage
– Chiseling out rotten wood spots and adding filler will prevent rot from further damaging your log home.
Apply Energy Seal around windows, doors, butt joints, and between logs
– Just one application of Energy Seal will make your home weather-proof while seamlessly blending in with your stain of choice.
Clean or strip old finish
– Remove any dirt, dust, or grime that’s collected on the exterior of your home. You might even want to completely remove the finish that’s on your home, if it’s worn, and apply a new coat.
– Use borate treatments to repel organisms that can invade and destroy your log homes. Allow this treatment to dry before moving on to further steps.
Apply more Energy Seal where needed
– Anywhere that water or other medias enter your home should have Energy Seal
applied around them. This will act as a preventative to any damage that could occur to your home.
Apply Checkmate 2
– If you have cracks and/or checks in your logs you’ll want to apply Checkmate 2
to prevent them from getting worse. This will need to cure for at least 3 hours before applying stain.
– Choose a stain that enhances your home and apply it to your logs. This will give your home a fresh new look that you were looking for.
Repair or restore chinking
– If your chinking is worn and torn now is the time to fix it.
Apply log end seal and chink pain
t – These will prevent your logs from becoming affected by rain, snow, and other harsh weather conditions. Don’t let your logs fall victim to degrading and use log end seals and chink pain to make them less vulnerable.
Use advanced topcoat
– Advanced Top Coats will be the final touch of protecting and restoring your log home. Top coats help keep color looking beautiful and gives your logs an extra bit of protection.
If you have any more restoration needs or any questions be sure to give timeless a call at 800-564-2987!